You can Google all-day-long and you will not find a definitive answer to this question. Why is that?
For clarity, here is the closest thing you’ll find on the topic https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/34592?hl=en
But we are not talking about Subdomains! We are talking about Domains aren’t we? Exactly!
I have been “doing this stuff” since Google was birthed (or became better than Altavista) @ 2001. I have seen all the evolution of methods to “do-these-things” with Google. These things I’ll call “methods”. They are simply ways to communicate with Google so they can do what they want to do bigger, faster, better (in that order). These “methods” are often called SEO (“White-Hat SEO” that is).
So there are millions of people (you) doing their own SEO or providing service of this nature. You read Google support pages like most people read the newspaper. You participate on forums – ask questions – write your opinions and experiences. All that gets indexed by Google.
- Then how can a question like this remain ambiguous?
- Exactly! Because that’s the way Google wants it. Now here is where the developer says, “I don’t understand?”. The marketing person says, “But of course! That’s marketing” (sometimes called BS). The business person says, “Of course! That’s the nature of proprietary information.”. So are we all clear on this now?
So I’m going to answer this question based on experience alone.
- Question: Can I use one Google Search Console for multiple domains?
- Answer: Its probably not helpful.
- Question: Thats no answer. OK! Why should I NOT use one Google Search Console for multiple domains?
- Answer: Because Google likes Accounts linked to websites. ( And so do you, SEO-webmaster, because it gives you more telemetry in your analytics reporting ).
Remember that an ACCOUNT is a gmail login. A website is a PROPERTY of the ACCOUNT.
- Question: I don’t get what that has to do with setting up multiple Domains in Google Search Console?
- Answer: Because Google links its Services (like Analytics) with Search Console, with Adwords, with GMB (Google My Business – God awful name that it is), and Adsense, etc.
Given all that linking between SERVICES, why do you think its a good idea to add to the complexity by adding multiple domains (Properties) to one Search Console (Account)?
- (You are not supposed to ask US questions! You are just blowing smoke with this “Services linked to Properties, linked to Accounts”. What’ next in your complexity lesson? Worm-holes?)
- (And YOU are not supposed to make demands!)
I have found only by relative search rank performance – there is no absolute benchmark I can offer – that keeping 1 Google Account (gmail) dedicated to 1 Domain (website), yields much better search rank performance ( also mistakenly called SEO. re “My SEO is now much better because I...” Sounds like a health problem to me).
- Question: What else? Is that all that is floating around in your pea-sized brain?
- Answer: No. Keeping 1 Google Account (gmail) dedicated to 1 Domain (website) also cuts down on management headaches, because Google gives you all the methods you need to setup your many Account/Domains in easy-to-manage ways, re MCC, ( …wait for it…) proving that Google is very aware of the difficulties in adhering to all these ever-changing “methods”, whether you can find it documented online or not. I rest my case.
- Question: Will this post get indexed?
- Answer: Yes.
- Question: Will I be able to find it in search results?
- Answer: Probably not.